Re: [LUG] Fire and Seasonal fire risk was Re: And then it went *phut* ...

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

As for overheating PC's - if the BIOS allows it, maybe it could be set to shutdown if it goes over 70 deg - that might not work for a dodgy PSU but it stops general overheating and lets face it, if it runs that hot it isn't going to last that long and something needs to be done about it : -)

I have all of that - I monitor everything I can with lm-sensors, (and homegrown stuff for the disks which lm-sensors doesn't do), graph it with mrtg, monitor it all with nagios and have it send TXTs via the GSM terminal I have, along with other custom scripts to help things along.

The box that failed was my main monitoring box that looks after 2 dozen or so of my own servers, local and remote, and the servers of a few other companies that I provide a monitoring service for. It's also the one with the GSM terminal to send me TXT messages - however it didn't get hot enough to trip the triggers that would have sent me a TXT message to say it was too hot before the PSU gave up...

Gordon