Re: [LUG] Fire and Seasonal fire risk was Re: And then it went *phut* ...

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'm thinking an investment in some more fire alarms won't go amis
here... Anyone know any that can be interfaced to a PC???

If it is unoccupied the alarm needs to call the fire service directly.
Don't rely on the electronics that may be burning to alert you. Some of
the linked alarms can interface to other stuff, but they are expensive.

Although I suspect the fire brigade aren't that bothered about premises
they know to be unoccupied if it is well detached from others. Might be
worth calling them, or other professionals on that side.

I went through all that before at the last place I lived. They were not at all helpful and seemed to be doing the "service" rather begrudgingly. Maybe that's just Bristol though..

For a residential house I believe they will do a free assessment still,
and ften hand out free smoke detectors. But don't be surprised if they
are more concerned about your Oven, Boiler and gas pipes than electronics.

And Log-burner in my office...

That said, I haven't seen much fire from PCs (except with the additional
of tinsel to monitors (Cathode ray tubes!). Less of a problem now so
many folks have LCD or Plasma screens, but one to watch out for at
Christmas.

I've seen a 1U server get hot enough to emit copious amounts of smoke and melt itself internally. No real flames though.

Similarly whilst the power supply may get "red hot", if the PC is a
metal case, and the cable is up to spec, it shouldn't cause more than
minor smouldering inside the case. Obviously whilst the fan is still
running things can get very hot and smoky. So make sure no other "fuel"
is close to the electronics, and it is well ventilated as Julian suggests.

Concrete floor, brick walls... But all good stuff and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a "Home office" type arrangement. Am hoping to move into a "real" office in the next year though, but then, I'm going to be at the mercy of what I can get regarding "server room" type space... Ah well.

Soon be Paignton time!

Gordon