Re: [LUG] Fire and Seasonal fire risk was Re: And then it went *phut* ...

Concrete floor, brick walls... But all good stuff and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a "Home office" type arrangement. Am hoping to move into a "real" office in the next year though, but then, I'm going to be at the mercy of what I can get regarding "server room" type space... Ah well.

I work from home, my 'office' is a converted summerhouse in the garden but my kit sits in the 42U cabinet I have in the hall next to the front door - I have a smoke/heat alarm in the cab' along with a CO2 fire extinguisher (just in case)and have had ithe alarm go off once in three years due to a PSU failing in one of the cobalt raqs I have in there and it was quickly deal with.

As for overheating PC's - if the BIOS allows it, maybe it could be set to shutdown if it goes over 70 deg - that might not work for a dodgy PSU but it stops general overheating and lets face it, if it runs that hot it isn't going to last that long and something needs to be done about it : -)

Dave