[LUG] And then it went *phut* ...

So about 11pm, last night, Drogon towers goes offline. Bother says I, as I was thinking of going to be with a good book (The latest Terry Pratchett, of-course)

Opened the server room door (ok, it's the cupboard under the stairs!) to be greeted with that acrid burning Bakelite smell...

My firewall server had croaked... Fortunately just the power supply and in it's failure, luckily hadn't fried the motherboard.

A replacement PSU later, full disk check and off it goes...

However I did almost burn myself on removing the PSU - it was red hot!

Now making me thing twice about leaving PC's on 24/7 - especially in an unoccupied house.... But where would you draw the line? All the phone charger PSUs we have, PSUs for ADSL modem/routers, Wi-Fi access points, (I did have one of those almost catch fire too - wish I'd kept it!)

Counting up what I have in my "server room" - Big UPS - MGE 1500 VA double conversion unit... Feeding Draytek ADSL modem/router, Linux PC based firewall/router, Linux based server, Linux based PBX (often x2), Ethernet switch, GSM Terminal and an old desk lamp. (Screen & Keyboard normally not plugged into anything though)

I'm thinking an investment in some more fire alarms won't go amis here... Anyone know any that can be interfaced to a PC???

Gordon