Re: [LUG] Fire and Seasonal fire risk was Re: And then it went *phut* ...

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 12:44 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I've seen a 1U server get hot enough to emit copious amounts of smoke and
> melt itself internally. No real flames though.

I had a Sun E250 at work which caught fire internally - not sure what
exactly but it may well have been the psu. Smelt awful and with
flames :-) Fortunately I was there at the time - the smell was the
giveaway of something not being right. Fortunately also that it burnt
itself out quite quickly as the computer room had automatic halon
extinguishers at the time (i.e. when they go off they remove the
oxygen!).

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001