Re: [LUG] OT private parking

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 17:12 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:

> I'm not going to get into a 'my disability is worse than yours'
> argument, because as has been pointed out this is a Linux mailing list.

I wasn't making an argument of that and would not do, you sound to be in
the same situation my brother was and I am painfully aware of the
difficulties in the situation, I was making a point that disability
comes in many shapes and sizes, not all in wheelchairs.

> What I will say is that I have every sympathy with those whose
> disability causes them suffering.  However, if they are having, as you
> put it, 'a good day' then what is stopping them walking an extra few
> feet from a normal bay?  As you conceded I never have that opportunity,
> and never will.

I didn't concede, or wasn't intending to.. Just being matter of fact ;)

> > I will however say that if people are able to manage, then the disabled
> > bays SHOULD be left free for those with a need on days where they may
> > not need to use it
> >
> That's my point exactly.

Your point was that if people can walk without you seeing any apparent
reason for them to park there, then they should not. Totally different
things. You make no allowance for any number of reasons for them to be
parking there. Some people abuse it, but I will not judge on outward
appearance their eligibility when you have no idea of what they deal
with. Arthritis suffers are one I keep thinking of, outwardly they can
appear fine, but can be in a lot of pain and if less distance to walk
helps them, then they deserve the space despite what it may look like
imo.

> > I do think its criminal that an ordinary driver may park in a disabled
> > bay and face nothing more than a normal fixed penalty fine (at worst...
> > supermarkets do nothing at all) however  misuse of a blue badge (such as
> > it accidentally remaining on display from a previous day) when the
> > disabled person isn't in the car nets a £1000 fine.
> >
> In over 20 years driving I have *never* heard of such a fine being
> handed out.  Perhaps more prominent exposure of such instances would
> slow down the abuse.

I've not known anyone get the fine, but check either you blue badge
handbook or the highway code (the former I think) and its in there. Our
previous motability car was a peugeot 307, and the dashboard was raked
at such an angle that from the driver seat I could barely see if Katie
has left the badge out (I'm a short arse;)) , I nearly parked up a
couple times and inadvertently left it displayed. happily the new car
has a much flatter dashboard and that won't be a risk... YAY for
Volvo ;)

Found the info:
"It is an offence for people other than the badge holder to take
advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme. The
maximum fine if someone is convicted is £1,000 plus any additional
penalty for the related parking offence."

At :
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/DG_4001061

> Kind regards - and to your wife with my sincere hope she is having a
> good day today and her bad days are fewer,
>
> Julian

She isn't so good lately, and my rant might have been fuelled by the
lack of sleep we both are experiencing lately because of it, things will
improve and if I learnt one thing from my parents and my brother, its
that you just take the cards you are dealt and get on with it.

I am sorry if I came over a bit harsh it might be the northerner in me,
I wish you all the best but I think we may have to agree to disagree on
this, and thats ok :]

John

--
John Williams