Re: [LUG] OT private parking

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 12:56 +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
> > AFAIK the wording of the qualification for a Blue Badge is 'Extreme
> > difficulty or total inability to walk'.  I have Spina Bifida and as
> > permanent wheelchair user fall into the latter category. My issue
with
> > this is the former 'extreme difficulty'.  The number of people I see
> get
> > out of cars in disabled spaces and walk with no discernible
> impediment
> > away from the car irritates the hell out of me.  I can only assume
> that
> > GPs operate with a very spurious definition of 'extreme difficulty'.

Some people qualify for a badge because their conditions are such that
they may have good days and bad days (arthritis perhaps). While I
understand your position in that you don't get a good day out of a
wheelchair some people do, but claiming they do not deserve a blue badge
ON THE DAY THAT YOU SEE THEM is very closed minded. or a lack of
thought. You would have no idea of any pain they are suffering despite
showing no outward sign of impediment.

I say this because it is something my wife and I have fought with many
times, the only time people see her out and about are on the good days,
still with crutches (permanent user) and very slow movement. They do not
see the floods of tears from pain, the 2 weeks stuck in bed unable to
move, needing help to the bathroom day and night and to get dressed etc.
They do not see the very large amounts of pain medication including
reasonable doses of morphine amongst other pain relief taken daily.

Some people hold a blue badge and certainly do deserve it despite what
you may consider, I hope it was just a lack of thought that prompted
your comment rather than a prejudice about "real" disability, disability
takes many forms and I will tell you now without qualm that my brother
with spina bifida was infinitely better off than the suffering my wife
goes through daily and I do not say that lightly.

I will however say that if people are able to manage, then the disabled
bays SHOULD be left free for those with a need on days where they may
not need to use it, but I have long since learnt that despite what it
may look like they could very well have a reason for using it.

I do think its criminal that an ordinary driver may park in a disabled
bay and face nothing more than a normal fixed penalty fine (at worst...
supermarkets do nothing at all) however  misuse of a blue badge (such as
it accidentally remaining on display from a previous day) when the
disabled person isn't in the car nets a £1000 fine.

</rant>

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides