Re: [LUG] OT private parking

John Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 12:56 +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
AFAIK the wording of the qualification for a Blue Badge is 'Extreme difficulty or total inability to walk'. I have Spina Bifida and as
permanent wheelchair user fall into the latter category. My issue
with
this is the former 'extreme difficulty'.  The number of people I see
get
out of cars in disabled spaces and walk with no discernible
impediment
away from the car irritates the hell out of me.  I can only assume
that
GPs operate with a very spurious definition of 'extreme difficulty'.

Some people qualify for a badge because their conditions are such that
they may have good days and bad days (arthritis perhaps). While I
understand your position in that you don't get a good day out of a
wheelchair some people do, but claiming they do not deserve a blue badge
ON THE DAY THAT YOU SEE THEM is very closed minded. or a lack of
thought. You would have no idea of any pain they are suffering despite
showing no outward sign of impediment.
I'm not going to get into a 'my disability is worse than yours' argument, because as has been pointed out this is a Linux mailing list.

What I will say is that I have every sympathy with those whose disability causes them suffering. However, if they are having, as you put it, 'a good day' then what is stopping them walking an extra few feet from a normal bay? As you conceded I never have that opportunity, and never will.
I will however say that if people are able to manage, then the disabled
bays SHOULD be left free for those with a need on days where they may
not need to use it
That's my point exactly.
I do think its criminal that an ordinary driver may park in a disabled
bay and face nothing more than a normal fixed penalty fine (at worst...
supermarkets do nothing at all) however  misuse of a blue badge (such as
it accidentally remaining on display from a previous day) when the
disabled person isn't in the car nets a £1000 fine.
In over 20 years driving I have *never* heard of such a fine being handed out. Perhaps more prominent exposure of such instances would slow down the abuse.

Kind regards - and to your wife with my sincere hope she is having a good day today and her bad days are fewer,

Julian