Re: [LUG] Running a big mailing list

Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Simon,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:58:40PM +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
This still leaves the problem of needing a host that will let me send 2000+ emails a week, without having to pay a huge amount more. That said, how much does Windows server cost for charities? Since I can throw it away once I get this sorted I should probably factor that cost in.

Can anyone recommend a cheap VPS provider who won't limit my email? I'm also looking for one for my own use if I can find a good price.

Email is very low bandwidth so I think you would find it extremely
difficult to use up even a stingy data transfer allowance when
sending 8,000 emails a month.

I know email is small, but bandwidth isn't the problem. It never is. The problem is that people do things like block outgoing port 25, and then limit the amount of outgoing mail via their SMTP server. Both are justified I guess, but it doesn't help much if you're running a list.

BTW, it's an announce only list. It's only once a week, but it's a lot of members.