Re: [LUG] Running a big mailing list

(Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread - catching up on very
old mail!)

Hi Simon,

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:25:06PM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> I would definitely be using mailman or similar (originally it would have
> been majordomo, but then I discovered that mailman is a much more modern
> alternative).

Yes.  It also has some utilities to add and remove subscribers from
the command line, and to examine list configuration, so you should
be able to script your time-based subscriptions.

> The website hosting is a very old package and needs changing anyway, so a
> VPS could be a good option. However, wouldn't a VPS provider be another
> potential block on sending the mailing list?

In terms of network performance and IP reputation it's similar to
dedicated servers, so typically not a problem.  Of course every
provider is different.

> Or are they likely to be better than a residential connection?

Yes, there isn't really any comparison.

Cheers,
Andy

You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.
 -- Mike Bristow