Re: [LUG] Running a big mailing list

Hi Simon,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 02:03:46AM +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
>> Email is very low bandwidth so I think you would find it extremely
>> difficult to use up even a stingy data transfer allowance when
>> sending 8,000 emails a month.
>
> I know email is small, but bandwidth isn't the problem. It never is. The
> problem is that people do things like block outgoing port 25, and then
> limit the amount of outgoing mail via their SMTP server. Both are
> justified I guess, but it doesn't help much if you're running a list.

In my experience these setups are only present on consumer broadband
connections.

> BTW, it's an announce only list. It's only once a week, but it's a lot of
> members.

You would probably do well to make it as easy as possible for the
subscribers to identify you, understand that they are subscribed,
and provide them an easy way to unsubscribe.  A lot of people tend
to use the "report as spam" buttons in their web mail in place of
"I don't want this anymore".

Inevitably there will still be spam complaints from time to time.
All it means is that you may have to do some work getting your IP
address removed from third party blacklists.

You may also want to ask for at least 1 extra IP address and only
send the newsletter out from that one, as then should any
unfortunate IP-based blacklisting occur it will not affect the
machine's ability to send general email.  Note that I am not
advocating just changing your IP address regularly to get around
blacklisting; this will eventually be spotted and you would be
tarred with the same brush as professional spammers.

As long as you can demonstrate that complainants really did opt-in
then you should have no difficulties with your hosting provider.

Cheers,
Andy