Re: [LUG] Running a big mailing list

Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Simon,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:58:40PM +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
This still leaves the problem of needing a host that will let me send 2000+ emails a week, without having to pay a huge amount more. That said, how much does Windows server cost for charities? Since I can throw it away once I get this sorted I should probably factor that cost in.

Can anyone recommend a cheap VPS provider who won't limit my email? I'm also looking for one for my own use if I can find a good price.

Email is very low bandwidth so I think you would find it extremely
difficult to use up even a stingy data transfer allowance when
sending 8,000 emails a month.

For example, this one is under 1KiB in size, so sending 8,000 copies
of it is going to be about 8MiB a month.  Naturally this is not
particularly accurate since there will be protocol overhead and a
bit of back and forth, but the final figure is not going to be a
factor of a thousand out.

Cheers,
Andy

If you can stop people adding data-uncompression techniques like Pointless Document Format...
Tom te tom te tom