Re: [LUG] Problems with Ubuntu 9.10

Henry Bremridge wrote:

>   Solution was to enter the following
>
>   mount -o remount,rw /
>   sudo vim /etc/fstab
>   # out the new hard-drive settings (sda1)
>   Close the command line
>
>   Very simple (!): the problem was that under 9.10 the new hard-drive
>   was listed as sdb not sda

These kind of kernel issues are often common across distros.

Obviously with Debian you get less releases so see them less often in
stable. And some distros may handle the upgrade steps more gracefully.

The fix for this specific one is to use UUID to identify partitions.

I did this to resolve an mdadm issue, where it doesn't recognize a
device early enough in the boot process, thus messing with device names.

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/310

The Debian documentation did recommend switching to UUID before that
upgrade, but who reads the manual before updating their test server?

I think ultimately though this kind of issue is hard to address
automatically in a reliable wat as the OS is changing in a pretty basic
way. I could imagine scripts that made a stab at sorting this specific
issue, but how "generalisable" they would be I'm not sure, in the above
I had to take swap off line for the fix, which is not the kind of thing
a general purpose upgrade script for Debian could do without the risk of
breaking stuff, might be relatively safer in Ubuntu which runs on less
platforms.