[LUG] Problems with Ubuntu 9.10

Was going to reinstall Ubuntu on her desktop and before going for
installation decided to run the CD as a live CD first and had the
following problems

1/ If I left the CD in and accepted all defaults then I was left with a
grey screen

2/ If I select either noapic or select "safe display" drivers then I got
an orange working screen but could not run firefox or software update. But from a
terminal I could ping www.google.com

Her desktop is a dual boot with windows xp, and I have to keep windows
xp to update various other electronic devices

When I check out the ubuntu forums, there appears to be a bug with nvidia drivers
and there is also a warning with booting wth grub2 with more than 2 operating systems

Question

1/ Any suggestions on how I can get the Live CD working?

2/ Any suggestions on how I should go about upgrading ubuntu, once the
Live CD works? In particular should I use the install ubuntu option from
the desktop or should I install from the mini.iso (I presume the latter)

3/ Has anyone had any trouble with upgrading to 9.10 with a dual boot

4/ (PS am also sorely tempted to switch her to debian and install KDE)

any assistance gratefully received

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.