Re: [LUG] html philosophy question

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:37:39 +0000 (GMT), Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>You may also want to consider server-side-includes, if the server supports
>it. Especially if you've no 'active' php content on the server - just
>static HTML.
>
>This is how my (poor excuse) of a website www.drogon.net is
>constructed... In the index.html file for each topic, there is something
>approximating:
>
>   <!--#include file="header.ssi"-->

>     <!--#include file="rightMenu.ssi"-->
>     <!--#include file="contactBlock.ssi"-->
>     <!--#include file="linksBlock.ssi"-->
>     <!--#include file="devon.ssi"-->
>
>A bit less server overhead than running up PHP just to include a few
>files... But if you're already using PHP, then that's fine too.
>
>Gordon

It sounds similar to what I am doing with PHP,
my index.html is simply
-------------------------------------
<?php include 'head1.php'; ?>

<h1>My replacement website</h1>

<?php include 'tail1.php'; ?>
-------------------------------------
Which has forced me back to gphpedit to edit things. I was using
Kompozer, but that cannot handle the html file not starting with
a <doctype .... > line, and keeps insert extra ones (and blank
lines and other crud)

I will need PHP anyway for my book database and also the photo
gallery (no links published for it yet as I am having problems
uploading images - I keep getting 'platform error', I will wait
until the Xmas hols to start debugging this - bet I have done
something stupid!)

best regards
Dave
--