Re: [LUG] html philosophy question

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:37:39 +0000 (GMT), Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You may also want to consider server-side-includes, if the server supports
> it. Especially if you've no 'active' php content on the server - just
> static HTML.
>
> This is how my (poor excuse) of a website www.drogon.net is
> constructed... In the index.html file for each topic, there is something
> approximating:
>
>    <!--#include file="header.ssi"-->

>      <!--#include file="rightMenu.ssi"-->
>      <!--#include file="contactBlock.ssi"-->
>      <!--#include file="linksBlock.ssi"-->
>      <!--#include file="devon.ssi"-->
>
> A bit less server overhead than running up PHP just to include a few
> files... But if you're already using PHP, then that's fine too.

For that matter, a fairly simple shellscript could build static HTML
files and save having to have any sort of dynamic content. PHP/SSI seem
pointless to me if the content you're serving doesn't change too often.

A makefile along the lines of:

    all: $(patsubst %.src,%.html,$(wildcard *.src))
    %.html: %.src *.inc
        cat head.inc $< tail.inc > $@

will convert *.src to *.html by adding head.inc to the top and tail.inc to the
bottom. Only files that are modified will be recreated.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7