Re: [LUG] html philosophy question

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Dave Morgan wrote:

As I now have the new web server back up and running, I thought I
would simplify the maintenance needed to update the html files by
putting all the html head info in one php file, and all the tail
stuff in another.

Works a treat, and cuts the size of my html files by 2/3rds. It
also keeps the site layout uniform with all info only being in
one file or the other. (see the source of any of the 4 pages on
my site to see what I am on about)

You may also want to consider server-side-includes, if the server supports it. Especially if you've no 'active' php content on the server - just static HTML.

This is how my (poor excuse) of a website www.drogon.net is constructed... In the index.html file for each topic, there is something approximating:

  <!--#include file="header.ssi"-->

    <!--#include file="rightMenu.ssi"-->
    <!--#include file="contactBlock.ssi"-->
    <!--#include file="linksBlock.ssi"-->
    <!--#include file="devon.ssi"-->

A bit less server overhead than running up PHP just to include a few files... But if you're already using PHP, then that's fine too.

Gordon