Re: [LUG] html philosophy question - solved

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:09:34 +0000, Admin <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> I notice when viewing in IE8 the main body of each page does not
>> display, even though the text that should be there is visible
>> when I 'view source'.
>>
>> question: Should I care?

and I found the 'solution' - change:

... blah ...

... blah ...

and it now 'works'.

>Only things that leapt out was the empty "div" in the footer (it has
>empty links in),

That's because you are a human :-) The links are not meant to be
followed.

>and I've never seen anyone use content-Style-type meta
>tags (and you don't seem to rely on it on the front page anyway).

It might be a left-over from Komposer, or whatever I used before
that. I have had to stop using Komposer as it cannot handle my
html files (see my reply to Gordon elsewhere in this thread)

>Don't have IE to hand to test it I'm afraid. Other than those the 100%
>heights on body and html make me nervous with IE, if nothing else it
>tends to go a bit mad with scrollbars when things fit exactly. And
>you've used a table layout for a layout that really would be simple with
>CSS.

I used a separate CSS file until last week, I moved it inline to
reduce amount of server hits, and so speed up site access. I will
be turning compression on at some point in the future.

> Simon

Thanks
Dave
(off to write some more replies)