Re: [LUG] website @ center

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:30:48 -0000, <baslake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi all,
got my flame proof suite on so here goes,,,prolly a simple question (well, tis if you know) anybody know how to get one's own website to display center screeen on a wide screen display ? it displays o.k. on a normal screen and have seen sites that are central on my wide screen so know it can be done,,, but how ?? i pity website designers the grief they have to go through !! (you guessed, i struggle)
bas.
My suggestion would be to put the whole page in <center> tags but it's been ages since I did any web design. I don't know if that works on complicated things as I never bothered with them.

And since you have your flame-proof suit on, let me test it for you :P

My question to you is: Why do you want to center the page at all? I presume that this is because you have set a fixed width, limiting the range of widths or have a page with hardly any content on it.

As the owner of a 17" wide screen laptop (which although big for a laptop, it's not that big these days compared to a real monitor), it really bugs me when the web site limits it's width to a third of the screen and makes me scroll down to see a page that, arranged differently, would easily have fit on my screen. I'm not even exaggerating. I really have seen sites that narrow.

The flip side of that coin is that with only a 10" display on my EEEPC, there are lots of sites for which I need to scroll both horizontally and vertically, in most cases for no good reason.

If there is a true need for it I have no problem, but mostly I see it as bad design.

One of the things I always liked about html is that it all could move around to nicely fit in the window and I don't like when that freedom is taken away from me.