Re: [LUG] demand five

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:14:31 +0100, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can get a USB soundcard pretty cheap or usb speakers less cheap.
I did not realise that - many thanks. I'll have a word with Penzance
computers and have a look in Pixmania or other e-shops.
I have one of these and it worked out of the box. unfortunately out of stock atm.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106540

I also had a couple of logitech usb headsets that worked out of the box, so it wouldn't surprise me if all usb audio devices used a common interface.

1 think to note is in linux, it didn't get set as the default audio device as I expect you'll want. I found instructions on doing that here:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc#Default_PCM_device

In windoze I have a feeling that the usb audio became the default audio device when it was plugged in (which wasn't actually what i wanted but oh well).

alternatively, it might be easier to disable the onboard sound in the bios and not have to worry about any of that.