Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

Michael Mortimore wrote:
I've not had anything like the trouble you've had with adsl. I'm on cable atm but had adsl in london without much trouble. Maybe the infrastructure in devon is crap? Maybe you could try yelling at your ISP to check things at their end.

Yes the infrastructure is rubbish. Apparently we can only get 4Mb on our line. I feel like it's the stone age down there. But the internet isn't the problem- even if it's the slowest most unreliable connection in the world- so long as the modem/router handles it without breaking.

What do you do with your net? i've found that bittorrent upsets alot of routers. Most connection-relates problems I've had are due to bittorrent (or at least users of it) being too greedy and hogging the connection to themselves. I find with heavy torrenting, the ping time goes through the roof and eventually the router crashes. Maybe you could relieve the pressure on the connection a while and see if it's more reliable.

Generally the connection is mostly idle. It's running my server, but that's only periodic low traffic- mostly me using SSH or IMAP. The only time it gets any high traffic is when I do a remote backup from it, or when my family is using the internet in the evenings.

The main debugging tip i can think of is to try another router when you're having trouble.

LOL- I've just ordered my 5th... a Draytek Vigor 120 (51 pounds from ebay). So much time has been wasted messing with this that it's got to be worth spending the extra money. It had better be good...