Re: [LUG] OT - Small Wireless Access Points?

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:26:26 +0100
Michael Mortimore wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:35:23 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good wireless access point that is:
> >
> > + physically small
> > + either low-power or with an internal transformer (no power bricks)
> > + cheap
> >
> > If the device is small enough, then having an external
> > transformer/power brick becomes a possibility.
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Grant.
> >
> Only thing that sprung to mind is a homeplug wireless extender kit
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106821
> unfortunately at £77, it only ticks boxes 2 and 3.
>
> Does have the benefit that the ap doesn't need to be anywhere near
> the modem though.

Thanks for the input.  Maybe I should clarify things a little.  We have
a networked device (comes with a 10Mbps Ethernet RJ45 interface) and
we're trying to piece together a "demo box" for it.  The device itself
is intended to be powered by a decent capacity rechargable battery.
What we want to do is make it so this device can be demonstrated with
the netbook that'll be taken around with it, but without having to mess
around plugging in cables, etc.  So, essentially you can visit a
potential customer, open up the box, turn on the device & view the info
from the netbook.  The device is in a box that has a fair degree of
unused space, so we were thinking of putting a low power, physically
small WAP in there.

Grant.