[LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

This is getting silly. In Bristol I have cable. I don't particularly like Virgin as a company, but the connection is fast and reliable. The supplied cable<->ethernet modem just works.

In contrast I have ADSL in Tavistock. Over the years this has been nothing but fail and woe. I don't particularly mind ADSL being slower. In actual fact, ADSL disconnecting every so often is something I could live with. But my problem is that all ADSL modems/routers seem to suck beyond all belief.

Firstly we started with the cheap USB rubbish supplied by the ISP. We all know why this isn't an option.

For a while I had my server doing NAT for a D-Link DSL-300T ethernet modem. This also kept doing silly things requiring a reboot.

Then there's the SpeedTouch 580 (and later a 585) router we were using for ages. The firmware on this sucks, however. It's missing features, it's slow, it's buggy, and for some reason it started needing rebooting every week or so because it kept slowing the connection to 1bit/sec.

I managed to get hold of a very nice Buffalo router with DD-WRT on it. I have only the highest praise for this device. Unfortunately, it needs an ADSL ethernet modem to go with it. However, I found a significant firmware upgrade for the DSL-300T, so I decided to try that. Everything worked great for a few months. Then the modem lost sync with the ADSL. The problem is that the web interface for the modem always becomes unresponsive or unavailable while it retries connecting. In the end I did a factory reset on it and then it worked again. For 2 weeks. I don't know if a connection problem trigged it this time or not. When my Dad checked the lights it had ADSL sync, but there are no responses on LAN, pings or web interface. Removing the ADSL cable and rebooting (not factory reset- yet) hasn't brought the web interface back up like it should if it was just too busy messing with the ADSL to reply.

WHAT THE FAIL!?

Why can't I trust ADSL devices to just work? Why is rebooting an ADSL modem the first thing I think of when there is a connection problem?

I guess everyone else on this list should have ADSL since there isn't much cable in Devon. What modems/routers do you use? How well do they work for you? Any debugging tips?

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks in advance.
Simon