Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Simon Williams wrote:

Michael Mortimore wrote:
I've not had anything like the trouble you've had with adsl. I'm on cable atm but had adsl in london without much trouble. Maybe the infrastructure in devon is crap? Maybe you could try yelling at your ISP to check things at their end.

Yes the infrastructure is rubbish. Apparently we can only get 4Mb on our line. I feel like it's the stone age down there. But the internet isn't the problem- even if it's the slowest most unreliable connection in the world- so long as the modem/router handles it without breaking.

I'd dispute that. The infrastructure is actually quite good - it's the so-called "last mile" that's the relatively rubbish part.

I get 8Mb down and 830 Kb up. 2 of my customers in Devon get 24Mb down and 1.1Mb up. I have a customer in Bristol barely able to get 2Mb though, and had a friend in London with a relatively low speed connecion until he moved, so don't play the stone-age thing in Devon - it's purely down to how far you are from the exchange, and to a lesser extent how good/old the copper is -- Now it does happen that Devon, being the 2nd largest county in England has more than it's share of people distant from the exchange, but lets not allow the facts to get in the way of a good argument!

Gordon