Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

2009/9/22 Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(snip)

Then there's the SpeedTouch 580 (and later a 585) router we were using for ages. The firmware on this sucks, however. It's missing features, it's slow, it's buggy, and for some reason it started needing rebooting every week or so because it kept slowing the connection to 1bit/sec.

(snip)

I guess everyone else on this list should have ADSL since there isn't much cable in Devon. What modems/routers do you use? How well do they work for you?

I used to use a SpeedTouch as well (still have it, as a backup), hated the interface and the constant reboots so now I have a Linksys WRT54-G2 which I've whacked DD-WRT on. Unfortunately unless I'm very much mistaken it can't handle pppoa, the protocol used by my ISP (ADSL24) so I've got my previous backup router, an Origo (not sure of the model) acting as the actual router with the Linksys configured as a wireless access point.
Working very well so far, but it's still comparatively early days...
Jason