Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

Simon Williams wrote:

> I guess everyone else on this list should have ADSL since there isn't
> much cable in Devon. What modems/routers do you use? How well do they
> work for you? Any debugging tips?

I've had a ZyXEL Prestige 645R for seven years.  It has run without
problems for all that time (which isn't to say I haven't needed to
powercycle it occasionally when BT have managed to get something
wedged).  I do mean nearly all of that time, too.  Probably the only
significant amount of time it has been turned off is for the duration
of three house moves and during a couple of extended power outages.

Because the ZyXEL only does 1Mb/s maximum and doesn't support ADSL Max,
I bought a Draytek Vigor 2820 (which many people had recommended).
Unfortunately BT had some strange authentication/routing issue last
week when I swapped the routers over and I had a few problems there.
It's also uncovered what may be a long-term issue with my line whereby
the PPP session drops and restarts during protracted uploads.  The ADSL
sync stays up though.  I think the Draytek must take longer than the
ZyXEL to re-establish the PPP session which makes the issue noticeable
at the TCP level when it wasn't before, as going back to the ZyXEL I can
see the same problem now I'm looking for it.  In the process of
debugging the problem I also managed to crash the Draytek :(

To help with debugging my ISP sent me a ZyXEL P660R.  That has also
worked fine in the four or five days I've had it.

The difference between the ZyXELs and the Draytek mostly seems to be
that the former are a fair bit more basic in terms of functionality and
user interface.

James