Re: [LUG] wowsa four cores for £76

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

T9000?  Wasn't that one of the Cyborgs from the future?

Heh...

I've read about these Transputers, I believe Atari had one, but I never did find out exactly what they did?

I don't think there was one in an Atari.. They were 68000 weren't they?

From what I have read, Atari did build one which was controlled by an Atari ST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Transputer_Workstation
http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/16bits/transputer.html

They were basically 32-bit microprocessors with an on-board concurrent processing engine, and 4 "links" which were bi-directional low latency, high speed (for the time) communication devices.

The instruction set was variable width and they had a small amount of on-board fast RAM (a few KB) and could access up to 4GB of DRAM. (minus the on-board stuff).

It had a 3-level stack arcitecture, (ie. no registers as such) and had a crude scheduller on-board to allow it to run "parallel" processes.

You traditionally programmed them in Occam, but inmos eventually released the "compiler writers guide" and we had a C compiler.

The T800 had an on-board FPU which ran at 1 MFlop (IIRC) That plus the ability to move data quickly gave them and edge for a while in scientific computing. We built some rather large boxes full of them once upon a time... (early 90's)

The T9000 was supposed to have an MMU and was faster with more bells & whistles, but it never really made it. The people I was working with (Meiko Scientific) abandoned it as a compute element, used it as a comms device until they built their own comms chips and had moved onto Sparcs...

Another british success doomed to failure ...

Gordon

I see, so they were basically machines that did really quick maths calculations?

Presumably they didn't run things like Jet Set Willy then?

Rob