Re: [LUG] wowsa four cores for £76

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, tom wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

tom wrote:
Seen these AMD Athlon II X4 620's - 4 cores 2.Ghz 512K cache per core!

here comes another new pc to write e-mails on....
Tom te tom te tom
Yep, not a bad price, shame it's something like 95W though. Saying that, AMD have released lower power Phenom II and Opteron processors, so they may well be able to bring out a low power Athlon II X4 too (albeit probably at a lower clock speed).

I'm mulling over getting one of these myself. I can't afford an Intel Core i7 or i5 even now they're cheaper and I already have an AM2+ board sitting around waiting for a new chip anyway.

According to the reviews these are Phenoms with the L3 cache disabled (production faulures?)

I'm not convinced myself - especially for the desktop as there are so few applications that make use of more than one core so-far. Esepcially with it's rather small L2 cache too.

remember you are talking Linux here so configure, make ...:

make -j ..

And remember if you do happen to run more than one app at a time they'll be distributed around the cores without having to rebuild

Well, that's all and good, but the average desktop doesn't do that. You're just wasting energy in the form of heat...

I also have a rather grand past when it comes to parallel/concurrent processing too, so know a little bit of what goes on.. Firefox isn't multi-threaded, Chrome is, FF will get there soon, hopefully though, but the fact remains that there is a lack (or need?) for multi-threaded applciations right now.

I only buy Intel if there is NO other choice.

I buy what suits the system at the time. Currently AMD are lagging in terms of performace per watt - and that's something that very important right now. (with the exception of the Geode, but they didn't design that initially)

Gordon