Re: [LUG] wowsa four cores for £76

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, tom wrote:

I only buy Intel if there is NO other choice.

I buy what suits the system at the time. Currently AMD are lagging in terms of performace per watt - and that's something that very important right now. (with the exception of the Geode, but they didn't design that initially)

I you want performance per watt then surely ARM is the only way to go!

There's a trade-off between bang per buck/bang per watt and usability.

Right now there isn't a server solution based on ARM or I'd be using it today....
When the ARM first came out I contacted them to see if they could make an ISA board for multiple CPU's ala transputer boards. - should have done it myself!

However, it's coming:

  http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/09/16/1527209

2GHz ARM ...

But what I want is a good solid processor with good software support and no overloaded/bloated graphics hardware!
But the ARM will have that - just about everything GPL...
I want CPU to do simulations and experiment with 3d animations...

Your average LAMP server doesn't use much CPU at all - it's mostly IO - stupid CPU usage like decoding SQL instructions is about the most it's going to do - until the muppets decide that resizing icons on the fly is a good idea though )-: Had a server crippled by that recently until they installed some caching. Weenies who never did any computer science - "Oh, it's slow, lets throw more hardware at it". <mutter> And get off my lawn while yer at it!
The day will come when people use computers for computing and not as a typewriter substitute and all those copies of office will lie rusting in your garden shed..
Tom te tom te tom