Re: [LUG] wowsa four cores for £76

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, tom wrote:

When the ARM first came out I contacted them to see if they could make an ISA board for multiple CPU's ala transputer boards. - should have done it myself!

You've seen these, I presume:

http://www.balloonboard.org/

And one of the dudes invvolved is lead on the Emdebian project AIUI...

there are many other ARM dev. boards out there...

e.g. http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_29_43

As for the transputer... Shame it never evolved. the T9000 never worked, sparcs got faster, quicker and they were quite creative to progam... At one point the company I worked for had 2 x i860's on a board with 4 transputers doing nothing more than acting as communiation engines as the i860's were millions times faster at floating point... (well, not quite, but significantly faster to make it worthwhile!) The i860 was another chip that was "interesting" to write assembly programs for... I've almost recovered )-:
T9000?  Wasn't that one of the Cyborgs from the future?

I've read about these Transputers, I believe Atari had one, but I never did find out exactly what they did?

Rob