Re: [LUG] Upgrade from to Ubuntu 9.04

Martin Gautier wrote:

tom wrote:

Maybe wait for 9.10 (the next "Long Term Support" version) to settle
down and move to that?  As you said, if it ain't broke...

Grant.

Maybe. Not sure if I'd need to go to 9.04 before 9.10 first though... I'll have to look into it...

I thought that about a machine that I used all the time - and then when I wanted to upgrade the path had gone! So check carefully...
Tom te tom te tom

Yeah. I've fallen into that trap too. On a production system. It's stuck on 6.something and the repo paths don't seem to be there to upgrade from.

Having said that, it's behind a firewall and has worked flawlessly since I first plugged it in. So again, don't fix wot aint broke...

Martin

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an 'archive' of old distros.

In fact doing a quick search came up with this...

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

So presumably you can change the

http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

in /etc/apt/sources.list

It appears looking at security.ubuntu.com it has security updates going back to Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS). Doing a bit more searching though, it appears the Desktop version of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS has released it's end of life (was back on July 14th 2009), however the Server version is still supported until June 2011.

Not sure how that would affect anyone on Ubuntu 6.10, 7.04 or 7.10.

Rob