[LUG] Upgrading from previous versions of Ubuntu

Hi folks,

Doing a bit more searching (with regards to the thread about upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04), I found this which may be of use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

It has links to guides on upgrading to the latest release.

Here's a brief run down of what you need to upgrade to to get to 9.04:

From 5.10 (Breezy Badger):

Upgrade to 6.06 LTS, then to 8.04 LTS, then to 8.10, and then to 9.04.

From 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) or 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon):

Upgrade to 8.04 LTS, then to 8.10, and then to 9.04.

From 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron):

Upgrade to 8.10 and then on to 9.04.

From 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex):

Upgrade to 9.04.

What it doesn't list is Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn), I'm not sure if it is possible to upgrade to 7.10 and then from 7.10 to 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 etc. I might give it a try one evening and see what happens. Looks like anything before 5.10 isn't supported either.

Still looks like if you stick with LTS releases or a fairly recent version (say nothing older than about 12 to 18 months) then you'd probably be able to do an upgrade rather thann backing up and reinstalling.

Anyway, hope this is of some help. Might be worth sticking it up on the Wiki.

Rob