Re: [LUG] dual booting 32 and 64 bit systems

baslake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Posted by "Barry Ayres" <baslake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi all,
dont know if its me or my machine, (prolly me) but are there or should there be any issues with dual booting a 32 and 64 bit linux on the same machine ? in my wisdom thought it might be a good idea to boot pclinuxos (32 bit) and mint (64 bit) on the same machine but whatever way round i do the install it blows the bootloader away. even attempting to use the mobo bootloader can only see one operating system at a time ! (or it just wont boot,,,, no operating system installed). using an athlon 6000+ on a gigabyte board. any feedback appreciated, bas.
How have you got the two distros installed?

Are they installed on the same drive or on two individual drives?

It certainly is possible to dual boot two distros, as it is possible to dual boot with Windows. Some distros are smart enough to detect an existing installation and update Grub accordingly, however it sounds to me like this may not be happening, or it's trying to boot from another drive or something?

Rob