Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Terry Hill wrote:

If we're stuck, and want cheap, then my house is usable - dining room will
hold 8 and living room a few more - I've flip-charts & whiteboards and can
probably get a projector - we jsut need someone to actually stand up and
say: "I'll do it" ...

Where abouts are you Gordon?  Perhaps those interested could hop over for an
informal meet to discuss the idea?  I can bring cake :)

Buckfastleigh. A38 halfway between Exeter & Plymouth.

5 years in robotics!  Sounds like you're currently the "jedi" in here :)

Er... That was over 20 years ago now!

I'm still feeling my way around - I've cooked a few components, created loud
and annoying feedback noises through my "bench" amp, and spent hours making
my ears bleed while trying to get my head around the maths.  I usually end
up shoving some components into a breadboard and watching what happens.

I do like the idea of themed meetings.  Themes that spring to mind (in no
particular order):

Power supplies.
Op amps.
Oscillators.
Analog circuits.
Sensors.
Robotics.
DIY bench gear.
Circuit bending.
Digital interfacing.
Amplifiers.
Linux & electronics.
Perhaps build days - where we develop some kind of group project.
DIY board etching.

It might be worthwhile seeing if there's already an electronics group out there doing this though. I don't know of one, but then I've never looked!

If we know in advance what the theme is, we can bring stuff that make sense
- stuff to swap, tips, tricks, rules of thumb, good books, good websites,
circuit ideas etc.

Anyway, just some ideas to throw into the mix.

Indeed - and I'm looking at some home automtion myself again, having just fitted a solar panel, I'm looking at better ways to control my existing boiler and cooker to better integrate it with what I already have...

Gordon