Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 02:11:59AM +0100, Simon Robert wrote:
> really? a group of programmers at the DWP who are so besotted with MS
> they have written the interface between the web browser stuff and this
> major CRM app so it cannot be used by unix/apple/linux? Yeh sure..

Um…I’m really not sure why this possibility seems so strange to you.
There are plenty of programmers so besotted with MS that they’d do
exactly that.

> If you want to see what is being used by the browser do control u in
> firefox, It isn't jscript.
>
> I notice that in the list of apps/companys owned by Oracle, as is
> siebel, is something called JD Edwards. I worked for a company which
> looked at taking on JD Edwards, it is a CRM with its own programming
> language, data base etc and would only work on MS hardware (which is why
> this large yogurt producer didn't in the end use it).

MS hardware? Do they have any other than keyboards and mice? ;)

There’s a difference between the server running only on Windows and a
browser-based client running only on Windows. On the other hand, if the
client *isn’t* browser-based, it’s perfectly understandable that it
doesn’t work on anything but Windows.

> All this guff
> about browsers is just that, guff! The DWP is using a very expnsive CRM
> system unable to take data from unices.

But why is it unable to take data from Unix? If the web frontend works,
then there’s no reason the backend would fail — the frontend would give
the backend the same data no matter which browser it ran on.

> Apply for a pension and see if it's true. You can certainly enter all
> the data. You just won't get your money s the uinderlying system will
> have fragged it.

Why would the data be any different? These things are defined in
standards that have been around for years now. If Internet Explorer (or
Windows) behaved differently, it would break *all* web applications,
from the simplest CGI script up to Google Mail.

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7