Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 14:01 +0100, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:22:44PM +0100, Simon Robert wrote:
> > The DoW&P site says that even though you will be able to enter info, but
> > that the system won't work anyhow. It certainly seemed to work, but I
> > didn't actually register, so I would guess that there is some backend
> > process that can't handles unices rather than the browser type being the
> > problem.
>
> How would it know? The only thing relevant to a web form is the browser
> being used. The particular browser generally depends on the OS, but
> that’s all. What they almost certainly mean when they say “we don’t
> support Mac or Unix” is “we don’t support any browser than internet
> explorer, but aren’t actually bright enough to say so”.
>
> If there’s a Java applet involved, then it might be OS-dependant. If
> it’s just a simple form, with or without javascript, then they’re
> talking out of their arses.

I still think it's nothing to do with what type of browser you happen to
be using. I notice that when the registration process is started the top
of the page says Siebel eService. A few seconds googling and I see that
siebel eservice is a CRM product that allows users to build portals or
will sell them packages. Without actually spending any time looking for
its' tech reqauirements I would imagine that it is this crm software
that is the problem, not the browser involved or the javascript that
serves the forms - as noted this all works with firefox and ubuntu at
least as far as the point when you select the type of benefit you want -
I didn't go beyond that point.

Simon