Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:22:44PM +0100, Simon Robert wrote:
> The DoW&P site says that even though you will be able to enter info, but
> that the system won't work anyhow. It certainly seemed to work, but I
> didn't actually register, so I would guess that there is some backend
> process that can't handles unices rather than the browser type being the
> problem.

How would it know? The only thing relevant to a web form is the browser
being used. The particular browser generally depends on the OS, but
that’s all. What they almost certainly mean when they say “we don’t
support Mac or Unix” is “we don’t support any browser than internet
explorer, but aren’t actually bright enough to say so”.

If there’s a Java applet involved, then it might be OS-dependant. If
it’s just a simple form, with or without javascript, then they’re
talking out of their arses.

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7