Re: [LUG] Gates Puts Feynman Lectures Online

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:51:49AM +0100, tom wrote:
> You don't need to use either Java or .NET or any other 'VM' type approach.

I don’t think I said you did. My point was just that .NET is Microsoft’s
attempt to get in on Sun’s market.

> Its technically quite easy to set up JavaScript/Browser  to call the
> libraries on your machine to do all the things you like to do - how else
> do you think Flash and Silverlight work?

> The only reason why we don't is
> because  companies have either together or singularly prevented the
> standards orgs from agreeing on standards to do this, and by providing
> their own 'solutions' helped redirect effort away from the optimal (for
> the user and in most cases the developer) solutions.

What do you mean we don’t do it? You’ve just said that this is how Flash
and Silverlight work. These aren’t standards, but they’re widely used
anyway (unfortunately).

> In My ideal world we'd have had an Object Oriented JavaScript with JIT
> for the browser and compiler for system side to link in client side
> stuff in a standards compliant way - through mime types for video etc.
> I'd also like the same JS engine for sever side on apache (for me)  so I
> could stick to one language for programming, and one operating system
> (i.e. no VM's) for doing 'other' work.

Not really feasible, as you want a limited environment for the
client-side language (otherwise you end up with braindamage like
ActiveX), and on the server-side you want it to be somewhat less limited
(being able to access files, for example, would be useful). I’m not
saying that you shouldn’t use the same language, just not necessarily
the same engine.

As I understand it, though, there’s no reason you can’t run javascript
through spidermonkey on the server, with maybe some hacking around to
hook it into apache.

Personally, I wouldn’t use javascript more than I had to (I’m currently
refactoring our web application to move as much processing as possible
from javascript on the client to python on the server). Javascript isn’t
a great language to begin with, and it’s hampered even more by the wide
use of shoddy implementations (Microsoft again…).

--
Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7