Re: [LUG] SMTP 451 error

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 15:06 +0100, Grant wrote:

> > I would include the logs but can't for the life of me find them!  I know
> > that sounds silly, but when checking all the logs' timestamps immediately
> > after I get the 451 error, none of them seem to be any newer.  Not
> > /var/log/mail* or /var/log/exim4/*.
> >
> > WRT DNS issues - essentially there are no connecting boxes.  Almost
> > without
> > exception the only machine I use to send email through this machine is my
> > laptop, and even then I do so with SSH port forwarding - I have laptop:25
> > forwarded to server:25, so as far as Exim should be concerned, it is
> > receiving SMTP traffic from itself.
> >
> > As I said above, curiously the mail command will send fine.  (I'm sending
> > this via my Roundcube webmail interface which uses PHPMAIL, so I'd expect
> > it to work OK).
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Anybody got any ideas?  All the Googling I'm doing seems to be pretty
> fruitless - "it's a temporary problem, try again later" syndrome.

I'm jumping right in the middle here, so I have no idea what the
original posting said. However, have you tried running exim with
debugging cranked right up, and using a different port (so that it
doesn't interfere with your normal mail)? I tend to use something like:

   exim -bd -oX 26 -d"+all" >/tmp/ex.file 2>&1

from one terminal session, then telnet in from a separate session using:

   telnet ... 26

and then enter your SMTP commands. When you get the 451 error issue a
QUIT, then control-c the first session and look in the /tmp/ex.file.
There will be lots of info in there, but you should be able to locate
your 451 message, and see why it is occurring. (If you have a local
firewall, or exim running though TCP wrappers, make sure port 26 is
available.)

John.