Re: [LUG] 0870 numbers ...

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, kevin wrote:

> What hardware do you need for an Astrix box?  I have had very little
> luck with modems in Linux.

Asterisk itself will run on any PC that can run Linux - if I were pushed,
I'd suggest that the minimum spec would be a P120 with enough RAM that it
doesn't swap at all. My (small) production boxes run on a 500MHz AMD Geode
processor with 256MB of RAM (128MB usable) and I've benchmarked them at 85
concurrent calls...

As for hardware to interface to the PSTN - There is a "winmodem" card
called the X100P - you can still sometimes get them on eBay relatively
cheaply, but for more support, the Digium A400P or A410P cards are the
sort of standard.... However there are clones from OpenVox, I use their
A400 card a lot - this will do you for a single BT line:

   http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400p01-1-fxo-p-669.html

If you have the time and are happy with compiling from source, getting
asterisk going isn't too bad, alternatively look for things like freePBX,
trixbox, pbxinaflash, and a few others... (Personally, I'd avoid the
debian/ubuntu packaged versions, although they do seem to work, asterisk
evolves quite quickly)

(or buy one from me ;-)

Gordon