Re: [LUG] 0870 numbers ...

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, tom wrote:

kevin wrote:
Can I suggest a New piece of Hardware or Linux Based phone that when a
caller phones and asks to speak to  "the Owner Of The Business?" wanting
to Sell them Some cut price Utility. I say "Please Hold whilst I
transfer you......" to a 0870 or some such premium rate number that will

I know the mobile phone network can be legally used to access your bank
account for services you didn't request but on the PSTN you only pay the
call you initiated -  so you, doing the transfer, would pay for the 0870
number. Or has that changed without notice??

Nothing's changed. You can't be charged for an incoming call - unless it's a reverse charge call, and then you're given the opportunity to reject it.

I'm not sure the how these 'call us and we'll call you back and charge
you £1.50 a call (when we ever we feel like it) mobile phone services'
work legally but to me its like looking through a shop window and going
home and finding all the stuff in their warehouse waiting on your
doorstep with a huge hole in your bank account!

It's done by sending you reverse charged texts. Originally invented as a way of taking micro payments from you. Abused though by "subscription" services... Read the small-print before texting a weird number to get a ring-tone, etc.

Gordon