Re: [LUG] 0870 numbers ...

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, kevin wrote:

> Can I suggest a New piece of Hardware or Linux Based phone that when a
> caller phones and asks to speak to  "the Owner Of The Business?" wanting
> to Sell them Some cut price Utility. I say "Please Hold whilst I
> transfer you......" to a 0870 or some such premium rate number that will
> replace the lost revenue time I have spent answering their persistent
> calls.  I get up to 10 per day at least.  I know when they are on the
> line now, as you get a 5 sec delay from answering to them saying " Am I
> talking to the Owner of the Business?" I give them 4.5 secs and replace
> the receiver.

You can't dial a number that starts to generate you more money than it
costs to call )-:

So an 0870 number might return 4p a minute, but it'll cost over 8p a
minute to call.

I was getting a lot of calls from an 0800 number recently - "The Listening
Company" - they are a market research company, and as such not covered by
TPS... When you called their 0800 number you just got a message...

So I setup my system to recognise the number and then place an outgoing
call to the same number and bridge the calls together... After a few days
(I was getting 3-4 a day) the switched to withholding their number which
was a PITA. (As when wifey calls from work, it's withheld )-:

Best thing I've found to unsolicited calls is to answer "Yes" then just
put the phone down but not hang up. Hang up 5 minutes late when you
remember. That'll waste their time (& money) and make the poor tellytubby
drop on his call success rate and eventually make him unemployed.
Eventually there will be no-one employed as a sales/cold caller droid and
that'll be that.

Alternatively, I transfer them to an extension which plays them this:

   http://unicorn.drogon.net/tt-allbusy.wav

then standard music on hold forever.

Gordon