Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - cheak on ebuyer..

John Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 14:05 +0100, Steve James wrote:
>

>>> www.ebuyer.com/product/146879
>>>
>> That's weird: yesterday they had "more than 100 in stock for next day
>> delivery" but today they say "Sorry, this product is now discontinued and
>> is no longer available for sale on the Ebuyer.com website".
>>
>> I smell a rat. Any one know more?
>>

> I saw this as well, there was around 149 or something on Wednesday, it
> went down to 109 or 104 by yesterday morning, then at 5pm last night it
> was discontinued as you mention.
>
> They either had a heck of a run on them yesterday or someone bought a
> shed load.
>
> I was watching it as the father in-law is thinking of getting one after
> I got the wife and myself one each (pink for her, Ubuntu Brown for me).
> He is out of the country at the moment and it was looking that he would
> be back before they all went. Apparently not :[

The thing is, with some of the stock eBuyer don't keep it in there
warehouse (don't get me wrong they do have a massive warehouse which
they do keep stock in).  Things like this are usually kept at the
distributor (probably someone like Computer 2000 or Ingram Micro).
eBuyer's site will be linked into their distributor so chances are the
stock amount you see is the amount the distributor has.  When you put in
an order for something that eBuyer don't keep in the warehouse they will
send the order through to the distributor who will then send it direct
to the customer.  The problem is, there are probably a fair few computer
suppliers that do this hence the stock going down quickly as an offer
like this would probably be popular as not only Linux geeks would be
interested, I bet a few of these would sell to folks who want to stick
Windows on them.

Rob