Re: [LUG] SuSE: reboot on (certain) pings

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM, tom wrote:
> Presumably you can connect in when its not busy??

Normally I can yes, but once the server stops responding I can't --
not even after half a day.

> Its fairly easy to write something like that - a simple socket program -
> but its not a very sensible thing to do.
> If you cant ssh into it (after a long time) then check what priority
> things are set at the server end - and see what logging you can do to
> find out whats blocking it - probably one of the file indexing daemons
> that runs on suse - can remember what it was but it was bloody annoying....

I did find it in the problem in the end: some daft programmer (me) had
written a daemon that stored log files into a database, but hadn't
taken into account that databases do get corrupted occasionally.
Having fixed that, the problem isn't very urgent any more.

Thanks.

Martijn.