Re: [LUG] SuSE: reboot on (certain) pings

Martijn Grooten wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a server that, for reasons currently unbeknown to me,
> occasionally suffers from such heavy load that I can't ssh into it. It
> is not the end of the world, as it is mostly a test server, and
> rebooting it won't hurt too much, but since I am not physically near
> the server, I always have to ask someone else to do that for me.
> However, seeing as pings still work and so do forwarding rules set in
> the firewall, I was wondering if it is possible to configure the
> server so that pings from a certain IP address, with a certain pattern
> (e.g. ping -p "dead" 12.34.56.78), will cause the server to reboot?
> (Or, even better of course, once I have found the cause of the
> problems, restart the process that is blocking the whole thing.)
>
> It runs SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 11.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martijn.

Presumably you can connect in when its not busy??
Its fairly easy to write something like that - a simple socket program -
but its not a very sensible thing to do.
If you cant ssh into it (after a long time) then check what priority
things are set at the server end - and see what logging you can do to
find out whats blocking it - probably one of the file indexing daemons
that runs on suse - can remember what it was but it was bloody annoying....
Tom te tom te tom