Re: [LUG] Alternative to BT (Business Broadband) in Minions

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, kevin wrote:

I've put them into Entanets own checker and the Sam Knows checker and they
reckon you ought to be getting about 1.5Mb/sec, rather than your fixed
500Kb/sec.

However there are other factors to consider, but even so...

As an indication of services, Enta is a tad more expensive than some, but
their "Business 15" package - which has a data cap of 15GB a month, and
elevated data over the BTW network would cost you £19.75 + VAT, their
"Family 30" (30GB) is £18.95 inc vat. (There is no cap at off-peak times)

Could you "sneak" broadband onto the PO line? (if it's not already
enabled). Then you could port your BT number into a VoIP platform to keep
the number and save the line rental...

The Po uses BT broadband ( for the Office Services so no)
We are some 5 1/2 miles with some very iffy cabling in this area.  Some
properties have no BB at all!

Do you know what the stats are for the PO line? Might be interesting to know..

Sam Knows has you some 5.5 Km in a straight line, so 5.5 miles by road might be about right.... That's on the edge. Odd the checkers are quite optomistic though. I wonder if you've been on a fixed-rate service for historical reasons and they have changed the margins since then...

Do all the usual stuff too - remove third-wire and un-needed extensions, good faceplate, modem close to master socket, etc. although it won't make any difference on the fixed speed system you have at present, but if you migrate and they take you off the fixed speed it might be worth it.

Still worth getting a MAC and migrating - BT are giving you no advantage over anyone else at this point, while charging you a small fortune for it. Even the fixed-rate packages I have access to (Not Enta) are cheaper... (Occasionally good for VoIP, as there's virtually no contention, but upload is only 256Kb/sec - still I can get upwards of 20 channels down that using g729..)

GordonA