Re: [LUG] KVM Switch

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:40:15 +0100
"Dave" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Dave,

I would hazard a guess because the Key-Press ones don't always respond.
I have both on mine (ALT+Number or Selector Button on top of box) and
find the Key-Press Solution is sometimes 'lost' depending on where the
Computer is (e.g. Login Screen) and therefore have to resort to

Strange;  I fail to see how the state of the 'pooter would have an
effect on the KVM which, after all, gets input from the keyboard.
Although I've never looked into how these things actually work.  I could
understand it if a software install was required since that, in all
likelihood, would be a Winders only option.

I have a pair of Roline 2-port KVM switches - oddly enough they "know" when they're cascaded together, so I think they listen in on the keyboard/mouse ports. so I have one keyboard+screen, 2 PCs and a roving lead for a "build" PC.

Control is via the keyboard - Shift (hold), Ctrl (hold), Alt (hold), then release all 3, then 1, or 2 for the primary posts on switch 1 or 2, or 12 for the secondary port on switch 1. 22 causes it to beep loudly as that's the connection from switch 1...

However, sometimes a crashing PC does block the keyboard (not even caps-lock works), and I have to power cycle the KVMs, then reset the keyboard auto-repeat speed.

These are many years old - I've not looked for devices for a long time though. The last ones I used in a rack were Belkin ones (And mega £££ Dell ones)

All my remote servers run off a serial console - which is good if the BIOS supports serial too - very few do these days, alas, but some Dells do, and there is an ASUS motherboard which does too. Lilo works over a serial port, so that's OK for me... My new PBXs have nothing more than a serial port too - what goes round, comes round! (And trying to compile Linux without keyboard or VGA support was challenging too until I found some options I've never touched before!)

Gordon