Re: [LUG] Alternative to BT (Business Broadband) in Minions

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 16:48 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, kevin wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > Does any one Know if the Orange (or any other of the USB Dongles) would
> > be a reasonable bet to replace my expensive (I feel) BT Business
> > Broadband.
> >
> > In Minions we get 1/2 speed Duplex on the Phone line which is 500 k and
> > 250 k respectively. Marginally faster than a good Modem.
> >
> > For this I get charged £103 per Qtr. I also have to pay the (Business)
> > rent on the BT Line which is around £45 per qtr. As I have another  Line
> > in, which the PO pays for I don't need the BT Line really.
> >
> > So looking at Orange they suggest Minions Has %80 2g Coverage (whatever
> > that is) and no 3G or 3G+  Would I be wise trying it?  I also have not
> > seen anywhere on the Orange site any mention of Linux at all.
>
> 2G is GPRS - 56Kbps at best. Avoid at all cost IMO.
>
> However, you're paying over the odds for your phone line and broadband -
> the issue is that BT "have you over a barrel". They probably won't let you
> drop to a residential tarrif as they'll claim you're a business...
>
> Changing the line from business to residential might be hard, but the best
> price there wil lbe about £12.50 a month, or £37.50 a quarter.
Yes Ive looked at releasing the Business Line and then to get another
Residential, BT wants a New Install Fee. There was one "Spare" line
Coming to the House but BT pinched it for the Village Phone Box! ( which
nobody can use as it doesn't take coin and they havn't put in a card
reader yet.

> Broadband wise - check your contract - If it's a BT business one it might
> well be a one year contract, then once you're happy you'll not be breaking
> the terms of the contract, ask for a MAC.
>
> Asking for a MAC puts you (or them) under no obligation whatsoever. They
> must give you one in a resonable time though.
>
> Once you have it, you have 30 days to select a new ISP.
>
> So for £103 a quarter, or £35 a month, you can get a stupidly good deal
> with other ISPs.
>
> Remember - just because it's a BT copper line, you're not restricted to
> using BT as an ISP - you have a choice of over 100 ISPs who use the BT
> Wholesale network. (BT Retail, who you're dealing with is just one of
> those 100+ customers of BT Wholesale)
>
> Speed wise - you're unlikely to get an improvement there, but without a
> line check, it's hard to know - going by those speeds, it sounds like
> you're 5+ miles from the exchange and on a fixed speed service.
>
> I'd suggest Entanet, but I know there are people on hte list who've had
> issues (I'm a reseller), but look at Zen, AAISP, and maybe even Plusnet...
>
> Gordon
Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386