Re: [LUG] Alternative to BT (Business Broadband) in Minions

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 17:45 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, kevin wrote:

> >> 2G is GPRS - 56Kbps at best. Avoid at all cost IMO.
> >>
> >> However, you're paying over the odds for your phone line and broadband -
> >> the issue is that BT "have you over a barrel". They probably won't let you
> >> drop to a residential tarrif as they'll claim you're a business...
> >>
> >> Changing the line from business to residential might be hard, but the best
> >> price there wil lbe about £12.50 a month, or £37.50 a quarter.
>
> > Yes Ive looked at releasing the Business Line and then to get another
> > Residential, BT wants a New Install Fee. There was one "Spare" line
> > Coming to the House but BT pinched it for the Village Phone Box! ( which
> > nobody can use as it doesn't take coin and they havn't put in a card
> > reader yet.
>
> Yes - PITA.
>
> However, I had to rush off earlier, but I've just noticed your phone
> number & post code...
>
> I've put them into Entanets own checker and the Sam Knows checker and they
> reckon you ought to be getting about 1.5Mb/sec, rather than your fixed
> 500Kb/sec.
>
> However there are other factors to consider, but even so...
>
> As an indication of services, Enta is a tad more expensive than some, but
> their "Business 15" package - which has a data cap of 15GB a month, and
> elevated data over the BTW network would cost you £19.75 + VAT, their
> "Family 30" (30GB) is £18.95 inc vat. (There is no cap at off-peak times)
>
> Could you "sneak" broadband onto the PO line? (if it's not already
> enabled). Then you could port your BT number into a VoIP platform to keep
> the number and save the line rental...
>
> Gordon
The Po uses BT broadband ( for the Office Services so no)
We are some 5 1/2 miles with some very iffy cabling in this area.  Some
properties have no BB at all!

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386