Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

Brown Richard wrote:

>> Mac mini, hmmm now there is an interesting choice of server platform
>> and
>> not one you will see many hosting companies offering. I'm not saying
>> there is any thing wrong with it just that it isn't exactly the first
>> choice that springs to mind when considering server hosting :)

> Yes a Mac Mini. They are used a lot for hosting. Google Mac Mini
> coloco and hit no 1 is fascinating to see.

I like Mini Macs, but they are substantially more expensive than any off
the shelf 1U rack server, and where do you put the second disk for
mirroring?

These days why would you coloc a small server, when you can rent a
virtual server with more oompf and with less issues about reliability
than colocation can provide?

We are looking at colocation, but that is because we need serious IO
performance and to host our own virtual server inside to support some
evil legacy system that no one will be providing off the shelf. Virtual
servers start costing when you need enough power to drive something complex.